Authors: Erchen Chang, Shing Tat Chung, and Wai Ting Chung
Since its humble beginnings as a London food stall, BAO has amassed a cult following of hungry fans with its Taiwanese-inspired cuisine and sleek design sensibility. BAO’s first book reveals the top-secret recipes behind 100 of its most beloved dishes – from the traditional steamed buns of its name to Taiwanese fried chicken, soul-warming beef noodles, snack-size xiao chi, and more.
Every BAO restaurant reflects a unique element of Taiwanese eating culture. The book follows suit, with chapters exploring each restaurant’s inspiration – Taipei night markets and grill houses, noodle shops and cafés – along with its creative interpretation.
Part cookbook, part manifesto, BAO weaves together delicious recipes, lively stories, evocative photography, and playful illustrations to inspire BAO super-fans and curious home cooks alike.
Chapters and featured dishes include:
- BAO – Classic Pork BAO, Daikon BAO, Cod Black BAO, Short Rib BAO
- Xiao Chi – Taiwanese Fried Chicken, Sweet Potato Chips with Pickled Plum Ketchup
- Grill House – Chilli Chicken Wings, Shacha Ox Heart Skewers
- Taiwanese Café – Dan Bing, Taro Congee with Crispy Shallot Wings
- Noodle Shop – Slow-cooked Beef Cheek and Short Rib Noodles, Dan Dan Tofu Noodles
- Drinks – Peanut Milk, Melon Sour, Milk Foam Tea
Hardcover | Phaidon Press | 240 pages